The shrine, originally named Shōkonsha shrine, was built in 1936. It was renamed Gokoku Shrine in 1939 and was elevated to the rank of “Prefectural Shrine” by the Home Minister the following year.
At the Gogoku are enshrined the spirits of the Okinawan soldiers fallen since the Russo and first Sino-Japanese wars, and the civilian and military victims of the battle of Okinawa.
The shrine was enlarged in 1940 to celebrate the 2600th anniversary of the Imperial Dynasty, but was destroyed in 1945 during WWII.
Part of the facility, including the main hall, was rebuilt after the war. The shrine was then moved to its current location in 1965.
|Company name||Gokoku Shrine|
Okinawa, Naha, Onoyama 44 (inside Onoyama Park)
|Access||5-minute walk from Tsubogawa and Onoyama Park Station
10-minute walk from Asahibashi Park Station
2 minutes from Onoyama koen mae bus stop (bus #9 #23 #25 #33 #46)
|Parking available||Parking available (free)|
|Closed||Open year round|
|Contact||098-857-2798（Gokoku Shrine Office）|