With its architecture inspired by Okinawa’s ancient fortresses (gusuku), the Prefectural museum is a must-see for those who want to learn more about the nature, history, culture, and arts of the Ryukyu islands.
The History and Natural History exhibitions walk you through the past of the region and its inhabitants, with its large collection of scale models and reproductions of historical artifacts, as well as some originals, and video documents.
The Art Gallery showcases mostly the paintings, sculptures, photographs, gravures, and videos of important local artists, or creators with a strong connection with Okinawa.
Various seasonal events and exhibitions are also held throughout the year.
Other facilities include a cafe on the 3rd floor, and a media center and a souvenir shop selling exclusive goods on the 1st floor.
|Company name||Okinawa Prefectural Museum and Art Museum|
Omoromachi 3-1-1, Naha, Okinawa
A 10-minute walk from Omoromachi Station
|Example price||History and Natural History permanent exhibitions
● Adults: Individual: ￥530 Group: ￥420
● University and High School Students: Individual: ￥260 Group: ￥210
● Elementary and Junior High School Students (not residing in Okinawa): Individual: ￥150 Group: ￥120Art Gallery
● Adults: Individual: ￥400 Group: ￥320
● University and High School Students: Individual: ￥210 Group: ￥170
● Elementary and Junior High School Students (not residing in Okinawa): Individual: ￥100 Group: ￥80
Paid Parking available
|Business hours||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday: 9:00-18:00 (last admission 17:30)
Friday, Saturday: 9:00-20:00 (last admission 19:30)
※(Souvenir shop and “Touch and Experience” room close at 18:00)
Hours may vary.
|Closed||● Monday (if Monday is a National Holiday, the museum will stay open, and will be closed on the following Tuesday instead.)
● Dec. 29 to Jan. 3
● The museum will be closed from Feb. 17 to 21, 2020 for maintenance.